Most Commented

Morocco Tourism to Face Challenges

26/01/2012 11:40

Despite the economic crisis that has deeply hit France, when the French can get away for a few days on vacation, they choose primarily Morocco. However, according to Moroccan tourism experts, 2012 will be difficult for the sector. Thus, the kingdom's interest is to diversify its holiday deals in order to attract as many foreign tourists as possible.
 
According to results of a poll released earlier this week, 46 percent of French respondents said they would not go on vacation in 2012 due to the economic hardships. This means that the remainder, 54 percent, are lucky as they plan to go on holiday this year. One third of these, i.e. 18 percent of the French people surveyed, plan to travel to Morocco, Tunisia, or Egypt.
 
Like last year, Morocco is the top destination for the French. The poll indicates that 11 percent of the French want to spend holidays or long weekends in the North African kingdom. The most attractive city is Marrakech. In terms of accommodation, the French prefer to spend their time in 5 star hotels.
 
As for Tunisia, 7.5 percent of the French plan their vacations there. Unlike Morocco, which attracts a mostly young clientele under 30 years of age, Tunisia attracts tourists aged between 30 and 49 years.
 
The poll highlights the tough times being faced by Egypt. Violent events that marked 2011 and the current instability in the country have cooled the interest of the French tourists. Only 2.5 percent of them plan to travel there.
 
Despite the global crisis, Morocco has done well; the country ended 2011 with a 2 percent increase in arrivals. Now one of the major objectives for Moroccan tourist authorities is to continue to attract Spanish tourists to the kingdom. This is despite the decline in direct flights to Marrakech by Spanish companies, including low-cost airline EasyJet. These reductions are justified by the current crisis in the aviation sector.
 
The Spanish market is placed in second position just after the French in terms of tourists visiting Morocco. "With 40.5 million inhabitants, Spaniards make close to 11 million trips abroad per year. The share of Morocco is just 8%.”

Image Credit: Alex de Carvalho, Flickr


Please follow Nuqudy English on Twitter!
Author:    Nuqudy.com
Tags:    Morocco     tourism
Related Articles
Meeting Between Foreign Ministers Shows Sincerity of Both Parties
Workshop Sponsored by Arab Media Lab Project and Canon Middle East
Five Jobless Graduates Set Themselves Alight in Protest
Could Spur Additional Investment from the Gulf
Reader Comments: 0


RELATED ARTICLES TODO: BIND DYNAMOC DATA AS NEEDED LATER
 ArticleIdArticleTitleArticleTitleSecondaryArticleIsPublishedImageServerNameArticleCommentCounterArticleViewCounterCategoryNameParentCategoryName
LINK 690Morocco and Algeria Agree to Improve RelationsMeeting Between Foreign Ministers Shows Sincerity of Both PartiesSaadEddineOthmaniReuters.jpg0575North AfricaGeneral Overview
LINK 665Filmmaking Workshop Held in MoroccoWorkshop Sponsored by Arab Media Lab Project and Canon Middle EastFilmWorkshop.jpg0691North AfricaGeneral Overview
LINK 631Moroccan Self-Immolation Part of TrendFive Jobless Graduates Set Themselves Alight in Protestmoroccoflag4.jpg0895North AfricaGeneral Overview
LINK 595Morocco to Allow Islamic BankingCould Spur Additional Investment from the Gulfmoroccobank.jpg11636North AfricaGeneral Overview